Search This Blog

Thursday 31 January 2013

Preparing For Art on the Go

I love to travel and I love to bring back some sketches to remind me of the places I visit. The challenge is to pack supplies lightly. Obviously, I can't take all my tubes of paint and canvases due to safety regulations and size and weight restrictions when flying so I have to pick and choose what I will take. This means having to decide what type of art I will do. Will I paint, draw, sew, journal?

I'm planning a trip into the Yukon and at this time of year it's snowy and cold so there won't be much work done en plein air (in the outdoors). But I will have a two hour layover in Vancouver airport and I hate wasting time so I think I'll have supplies available for sketching. I will also have plenty of time on the plane to do something so I've started some fabric cards and all I have left to do is the handstitching and the sewing on of embellishments which can easily be done in my seat. I've packaged each card and it's embellishments as well as thread, needle, and nail clipper (I don't think I'll get through security with scissors) separately in sandwich bags so all I have to do is pull a bag out and I'll have everything I need to finish the card off.


Sandwich bags with unfinished fabric cards, embellishment, needle, thread, nail clippers.


My sketching kit with sketch book, pencils, micron pens and watercolour pencils placed in a large freezer bag.
I have also packed a small watercolour pallet with watercolour paint and short paintbrushes and some watercolour paper cut to the same size as the pallet which will also go into a large freezer bag. I'll use these items to do quick watercolour studies of scenes I will later reproduce in my home studio. Along with the studies, I'll use photos I've taken with  my camera.


I am hoping I can keep up my blog while I'm away so check in next Thursday for a blog on the inspiration I find in the Yukon.

1 comment: