Search This Blog

Thursday 24 January 2013

The Wonder of the Webinar

I just think technology is amazing. I was able to attend an art workshop.......from my studio. I used my I-pad to link into a live webinar today. That is so cool. And they even planned it for my art day! I guess this doesn't count as a real workshop such that I have on my goals for 2013 list because it doesn't really get me out among other artists but I did take notes and I could also type in questions that I had. Apparently they will be doing this once per month this year and I plan to fully take advantage of it since it's free.

Today I also continued working on my Algonquin Park painting and I really think it is coming along well. I tackled the foreground and went back into the trees. I also made some minor changes to the water. I do however, have a dilemma. Do I put some wildlife in it or not. When I look at it the only evidence of life is the canoes and although the area was very quiet with no wildlife to be seen, I'm wondering whether to put in some Loons floating on the calm water. I drew some on little bits of tracing paper and taped them to the painting to see what it would look like. Perhaps my readers could give me their opinions on it.


I have also been busy working on a quilt with a friend of mine. We do these quilts and donate them to our local Christian School's silent auction. Quilting with someone else is a really nice way to complete large quilts and also gives us some social time together. Below are all the squares we made. They still have to be sewn together, then it will be placed on batting and a backing, and then a border will be sewn around it. When that's all done, we will machine quilt it. It is quite a traditional design but it was made with mostly batik fabrics which are some of my favourite textiles.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Arja. I personally don't think the picture needs the loons. I enjoy just looking at the tranquility of the lake. Brings back really good memories.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arja - I like the addition of the Loons but I would only have 1 pair - not two as I believe that Loons are very territorial and you would never see two pairs of Loons in close proximity. The painting itself is really coming along nice. I love your blend of colours... It has a very calming effect. Glad to hear you enjoy the Webinar. I watch them all the time for work :-) You can learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi R...I like one pair of loons. When I look at the painting my eyes take the natural route of top left first (introduction by way of the background landscape) then bottom right (the "main show" - the beautiful canoes) then bottom/centre left (where a pair of loons would help to draw my eyes up and around and add that element of life that you refer to which I think enhances the painting.) and finally top right where I think the tranquility of the lake is captured and sort of takes my experience of the painting slowly and quietly off into the distance. It's like an emotional journey of where I start with a smile and sense of peace from the scenery, get the excitement of the activity and experience associated with the canoes and then the loons start taking me back to calmness and then off into the distance to imagine what lies beyond the lake. Makes me want to go canoeing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will include the loons to give it some life and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will include the loons to give it some life and interest.

    ReplyDelete