Search This Blog

Thursday 7 February 2013

Finding Inspiration in North Western Canada

As promised, this blog comes to you from Whitehorse, Yukon Territories. I have always wanted to visit the Yukon and now with my daughter and her husband living here that has become a reality. My plan is to visit it in different seasons and this was my chance to see it in winter. Although the temperatures are frigid, it is a dry cold so it doesn't feel at all like the cold in Ontario. You do, however, always have to have long underwear, good coat, hat, scarf and mittens on when venturing out, even to go to the store.
I have found lots of inspiration here and there is quite an artist's community. One artist that I admire is Ted Harrison who was born in Britain and moved to the Yukon in 1968 working as a teacher. In 1979 he began to work as a full-time artist. His work is simple and very colourful but really give you the feeling of the Yukon. I am going to see a film about him and his work at the "Available Light Film Festival" currently underway here in Whitehorse.
I have had the chance to do some sketching and will spend the rest of this day producing some art that will remind me of this beautiful place.
A Haida design I sketched in my journal during my layover in Vancouver
from a wooden medallion in an installation at the airport.

Another page in my journal
My son-in-law is a journalist and is covering the Yukon Quest while I am here. The Quest is a 1000 mile dog sled race that started here in Whitehorse and ends in Fairbanks, Alaska sometime next week. This year is it's 30th Anniversary and so it is a special year. The Whitehorse Star is full of articles he wrote on different aspects of the Quest and I'm finding it very inspiring.
And of course the landscape here is inspiring. Below are some photos I've taken which could also become paintings when I return home. As I've said before, sketching outdoors is out of the question due to the cold.

Overlooking Schwatka Lake which was formed over the Whithorse Rapids
when the Yukon River was dammed south of Whitehorse
The Yukon River between Canyon City and Miles Canyon just
south of Whitehorse
A prospector's cabin

Sorry about the above photos being on their side, I still don't know how to turn them in blogger.
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like some of the sites you have seen are beautiful. We saw your picture on Facebook. Glad to see you are bundled up. Your Artwork again is amazing. I like your dog sled sketch and how you have added Marcels newspaper clipping with it. Enjoy your time with Amy.

    We are missing you and looking forward to going to PEI

    ReplyDelete