Search This Blog

Thursday 14 March 2013

Creation Creativity


 Often I'm inspired by Scripture and because much of my art depicts the natural world for example, landscape, flowers, trees, rocks, etc., I love the creation story found in Genesis 1 of the Bible. A few years ago I completed a Creation Series. This is a series of  six fluid acrylic paintings each about 5" X 7"; one for each day of creation as found in the Genesis passage. Each piece is framed in black with a white mat. On the mat I used calligraphy to write the verses that the images depict. I painted this series as a reminder to myself of how the world began and how powerful and wonderful our God is that he created this whole universe for us. It shows me that God loves order but also colour and variety and different sounds and smells. I think he even has a great sense of humour when you look at the different animals of his creation. It reminds me that to this day he still upholds his creation despite what the world thinks when they talk of global warming and the environment.






Day 1- Separation of light from darkness


Day 2 - Separation of seas from sky


Day 3 - Separation of land from seas


Day 4 - Separation of day from night,
sun, moon and stars


Day 5 - Birds and water creatures






Day 6 - Living creatures: livestock, wild animals,
reptiles, insects, people
He then gave us the seventh day for a day of rest and we definately need it. We need it to reflect on who God is and how he loves us and he has given us this day for our own health and well being.
What I find interesting is how Day 1 and Day 3 are similar in that they are both about light and darkness. Further to that idea, Day 2 and Day 4 have to do with the seas and the sky and Day 3 and Day 5 both have to do with the land and creatures living on the land. I won't attempt to explain why that is, I just find it interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment