Search This Blog

Thursday 18 July 2013

Inspired by the Aluminum Pop Can

Have you noticed that the aluminum with which pop cans are made of, at least in Canada, has become quite thin. While it is in the pop can shape, it is very strong and durable. However when you cut a pop can up such that you cut the top and bottom off, you are left with the middle of the can which is not much thicker than aluminum foil. You can cut it with a regular pair of scissors. I love the gloss on the outside of the can and even some of the graphics. Take the Coke cans. It's a pretty iconic can and instantly recognizable.

I thought it would be interesting to use this metal in my art to give it some glitz and colour and maybe bring up some fun memories for people. In experimenting with the aluminum I used both the front (coloured advertising side) and the back (the silver aluminum inside of the can) on some fabric cards. Due to the fact that the edges of the cut metal can be sharp I had to be very careful working with it and when putting it onto my art the edges had to be covered so as not to cut people handling the cards. I've also found that you can sew the aluminum with a sewing machine if you have a heavy duty needle so I usually zigzag it down as a way to cover the sharp edges.




Some examples of cans I have used, whole cans and a couple that
I cut the tops and bottoms off of.
This card was made with the apple juice can aluminum.
This card was made with the back side or inside of the aluminum can.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment