Search This Blog

Thursday 22 August 2013

Summer Landscape Quilt

I finally decided on a plan for a landscape quilt to complete my "Seasons" series. This one will be the summer one and I've decided to choose a photo from last year's canoe trip. This wall quilt will not be quite as big as the others. It measures 42"X31" and will have approximately a 3 inch border around the whole thing. I've been spending the last couple of weeks working out the pattern and deciding on fabric to use in it. I will be using mainly cottons but also some silk that I hand dyed myself and also a bit of organza.

I did a drawing and a small painting of my subject to get a
feel of how I want the quilt to look. The two canoes on the
right will be the focal point so when I designed the
pattern, most of the seam lines point to those canoes to
bring the eye to that spot.

You can see that even on the pattern the two central canoes
are prominent.

The fabrics that I have chosen for this quilt also have reds
included because I decided to make the canoes red instead
of the white that they actually were.
I'm hoping to be able to start sewing today, however, I have a few other projects on the go as well, so we will see. I'll give you periodic updates on the progress.

3 comments:

  1. I hope so. That's what fun and risky about these quilts, you never quite know if it will work out until it's done. It's crucial to plan well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Have fun doing it.

      Delete