Search This Blog

Thursday 17 October 2013

New Technique for Fabric Cards

Although I have recalled the Fabric Cards I've made, I am still making them and sending them out to people. In my experimentation, I came across another technique.

In this technique, I layer fabrics one on top of another and cut away layers to reveal the patterns underneath. First of all I collect a few fabrics that co-ordinate and come up with a plan for them depending on their colours.

One layer is the back of the card, the next is the quilt batting, and then I have 2 or three layers of co-ordinating fabric on top of that again. I then zigzag the edges of the sandwich together.

This is the back of the card, the quilt batting and the third layer of the top fabric.
Here I lay the second layer of fabric on top
This is the first layer of fabric which I hand dyed a pale blue colour.
 
The sandwich is zigzagged together and then I stitched on top.
I cut away the first pale blue layer from inside the stitched area
to reveal the second layer of fabric underneath. I then stitched
a design on another section of the card.
On the flower design, I cut away the first and second layers of
fabric to reveal the third layer of fabric.
I will then embellish the card with buttons, beads, or found items to add interest to it.

Here are a few others I've made with the same technique.






No comments:

Post a Comment