Search This Blog

Thursday 30 January 2014

Just One of Those Art Days

This morning I woke up to a power outage. The good thing is that it meant I could still paint if I brought everything upstairs. However, I couldn't blog, I couldn't sew, and I couldn't do any other work on the computer like check if I had been accepted for the "In the Garden" Challenge.

I did bring my painting stuff upstairs and worked on a portrait of my grand-daughter that I have been working on for a long time. This painting is the second one I've attempted because the first one was not working out the way I wanted it to.
This is the first attempt. I quit before I put too much into it and
might just revisit it later. Being watercolour, I can still make
some changes to it.

This is the second attempt and it has potential. It is far
from finished but I kind of like what it going on.
The house was getting a little cold by this point so I went to visit my son and daughter-in-law for coffee and when I returned the power had returned and the house was warmer. This meant I could check the Quilting Daily website to see if I had been accepted into the challenge. Alas, my name was not there. Disappointment. Oh well, keep trying, maybe.

With the return of power, I could use my sewing machine and I needed to do some quilting on the table runner my friends and I had succeeded in putting together.




I'm happy with it, however, as I quilted it, it started to bunch and buckle. I've quilted three squares and I'm not happy so I will have to take it apart and come up with another plan. 

So you see, artists don't always have successful days and this one was absolutely not successful. When I have days like this, it is inspiration-sapping and I find it hard to continue or come up with an idea, that I think will work. From the past, I've learned to just work through it and eventually I receive success and the inspiration will return again.

I'm hoping that in next week's blog, I'll have some really positive experiences to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment