Search This Blog

Thursday 10 April 2014

Sketchbook Skool

I had my first Sketchbook Skool klass last Friday. We were challenged to do sketches without using a pencil and eraser--just a pen or marker or dip pen. Well, I knew it wasn't going to go well. I always use a pencil first to sketch and then I go in with a felt tipped pen. We were encouraged not to worry about what it looked like; whether it was good or bad, in perspective, or not. Just draw what you see, we were told and love what you draw, mistakes and all.

In my first sketch I used the wrong pens. They weren't waterproof so when I added watercolour paint later, the ink ran. However, I don't mind the look of runny ink. The objects in the sketch are a bit wonky but that too gives it a bit of character. Since it was my first sketch, I didn't worry too much about it. I hope to improve as I go.


My second sketch was done just with a micron pen and line. There is basically no shading, although I did do some cross hatching to give some depth.


The third sketch was done with a dip pen which is a pen nib placed in a holder and dipped into permanent ink. I really liked using the dip pen because I could get very thin lines and also thick lines with it.


Second lesson tomorrow, check back next week for new sketches.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, my small art quilt, Algonquin, was not chosen for the Parks Challenge. Disappointment again. Oh, well, I will keep doing what I love despite the rejection.

No comments:

Post a Comment