Search This Blog

Thursday 12 February 2015

Inspired by a Charitable Cause

The Canadian Chapter of Studio Art Quilts Association (SAQA) that I am a member of posted a request in January on Facebook for fibre artists to create part of a quilt that will be travelling across Canada in the Relay for Hope Run raising money for HIV/Aids. The idea was to make a panel for each Province and Territory and put them all together into one quilt. We could choose which Province or Territory we wanted to create and since Ontario was already taken I chose the Yukon Territory. The next day I received an email to let me know that they had looked at my work on my blog and were impressed so they accepted me as one of the artists.

I will have until April/May to complete it and send it to them to put together with the other panels. So today I worked on an idea for my Yukon Panel. Below is the first draft of my idea. Each panel will be 28" X 28" and have the initials of the Province or Territory in the lower right of the panel.




My panel will have mountains, snow, a dog sled, raven and the northern lights on it. I still have to figure out how I will do it exactly but I am getting some ideas percolating in my mind. I will be challenging to do this project.

Also below are a couple of drawings I did while I was away in Europe. The time I spent there was very busy so I didn't have large sections of time to create.


Drawing done while relaxing in our hotel.


A sketch of our plane while we waited to board for our trip home.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Arja. I am sure they will be wowed like we always are. Way to go. Curious, did you ever get the quilting book that has your pieces in it?

    ReplyDelete