Search This Blog

Thursday 18 February 2016

Inspired by the Passing of Time

We are already more than half way through February 2016! It seems to me that time is passing much too quickly. It didn't pass quick enough when I was a youngster impatiently waiting until I could wear high heels, learn to drive or start dating. But now that I have accomplished those things, if feel like if I don't do the things I would like to do, one day I'll run out of time!

It is always good to set goals and timelines if you strive to get something done. And so, a calendar is an essential tool for that. With the passing of time, I thought of calendars. You can get a calendar with scenery on it, or flowers, or even your own photos plus lots of other subjects.

I've made small calendars in the past of my artwork which I put together myself and have given away to family and friends. I've also made birthday calendars that can be used from year to year. In January, I started to make a calendar that I hope to have printed professionally.

I started with a 14"X14" sheet of watercolour paper and started on the month of January 2017. The theme of January is Winter, obviously. It became a collage as well as watercolour page.


It is in blues and purples and has a painting of birch trees in the snow as well as some blue hydrangeas. I also printed some of my photos of the ice storm from a few years ago onto card stock and glued them to the page. As well I included a text from the Bible.

February is also on a sheet of watercolour paper and its theme is....Love.


 This page is in pinks and reds and includes hearts painted into the background as well as some cross stitched hearts which I glued onto the page.

When I started March, I thought I could use the theme of Art or creativity. I decided then to make the March page from fabric. In my sketchbook I sketched some of the tools I use to make art. I then traced the sketches onto tracing paper and used the tracings to guide my stitching as I transferred the sketches to my page.

The fabric for this page was an experiment I did one time with liquid dyes. The calendar section is also stitched, as is the word March. I also stitched the numbers for the dates and the brushes and pens. The pencils are cross stitched and sewn to the page with a zigzag stitch.

So now I am thinking about April. What will the theme be? What colour should I make it? What media shall I use to make it?  The first three months were easy but now I have 9 other months to do. Do you think you could help me out and send me some theme ideas, colour choices and different media to use? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment