Search This Blog

Thursday 7 April 2016

Two Art Quilts Mailed Out

In the last few weeks, I have mailed out a couple of Art Quilts. The first was the SAQA Benefit Auction Quilt that I blogged about a while ago. In that blog I posted a picture of my plan.



I worked fairly closely to the plan but changed the leaves and put 3 in instead of 2. I started first to quilt the boards of our deck which are weathered and most of the paint has come off except for some small spots.



This background is just gray fabric that I quilted with lines to mimic wood grain and screws and boards. I then fused the blue gray "paint" on top.


Here, I am playing with the placement of the leaves. These are the base colours of the leaves and the shadows under the leaves are black organza.


 Here, I have fused other fabrics onto the base leaf fabric to give the leaves form and dimension and then I quilted them adding veins. I felt that the composition was a little heavy on one side but I didn't want to add another leaf. Suddenly, I thought of something I always see on the deck along with the leaves and went outside in search of snail shells. I found 3 and made sure there wasn't anything live in them by pouring boiling water over them. When they were dry, I used my glue gun to attach them. When I was satisfied, I put a narrow border around it and called it done. It is 12" X 12" and is called " First Fallen Leaves". It is posted on the SAQA website and if you want to see it and all the other beautiful quilts that have been sent in, go to saqa.com , and on the menu line click on Artwork, then Benefit Auction and finally View the Quilts.


The other art quilt I mailed out is the "Reflections of the North" which was accepted for the SAQA Show "My Corner of the World" being held in the Stratford Perth Museum in May. I thought I wasn't allowed to post photos of it but when checking the mailing instructions, I noticed that there was no restriction on posting so here is the finished quilt.




2 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled to have won the auction for First Fallen Leaves, and it's wonderful to see your description of your creative process. I can't wait to see the art in person and will watch for more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that you got it! This is the first time I have made something for the auction. I haven't been a member long. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete