Search This Blog

Thursday 24 August 2017

Sewer Grates, Manhole Covers, Sidewalk Imprints.

During my morning walk one week, I took along some plain fabric and a watercolour crayon. I was hoping to get some rubbing images on the fabric. Rubbing is when you take a sheet of paper or, in this case, plain fabric and lay it over something textured and by rubbing a crayon or chalk over it, you create an image of the texture. As I walked I looked for things that might work with this technique.
I actually didn't have enough fabric with me to get all the rubbings I could have gotten. Did you know that construction companies stamp their name and year into new sidewalks that are being laid? Next time you go for a walk look down at the sidewalk and find out what year it was laid and by whom.

Some of the rubbings worked out better than others. I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet but when I am inspired, I'll be sure to post about the project.












No comments:

Post a Comment