Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 June 2015

Sketching Time Found

I have always dreamed of visiting the Yukon. Even before my daughter and her husband moved there, I was intrigued by this Northerly part of Canada. I have fulfilled that dream twice but only in winter which is a very beautiful time to come with its mounds of snow and hoar frost covered trees and its ice fog. It is true that we are never satisfied because once I had visited in the winter time, my dream changed to visiting in the summer. Once again, by God's grace, I am having that dream come to realization.
I thought I would be wearing long sleeved shirts and jackets, however, it has been very warm here since I arrived. The weather is just beautiful! I have not wasted my time but began sketching in the plane on the trip here to get my mental state ready for a week of exercising my observation skills and eye-hand coordination for sketching.



Zentangle

Guy sitting in seat 29D

Since landing in Whitehorse, I have had lots of opportunity to wander around town and find some great sketching subjects.
The Yukon River is a few minutes walk from my daughter's home so I walked to a spot where I saw bench and sat down to sketch the river. There just happened to be a guy fishing in the river at that spot.





This morning, I walked to another section of the river where I could sketch the SS Klondike which sits on the other side of the river. The Klondike is a paddle wheeler that was used on the river during the Gold Rush.




This week my blog is a day early because tomorrow I'll be travelling to Haines, Alaska. Check next week's blog for some sketches done in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment