Search This Blog

Thursday 16 February 2017

Work Begun on Fabric Cards Quilt

For years, I have been making fabric greeting cards, they're actually more like postcards. At one point I let everyone know that if they did not want to keep them, instead of throwing them out, they could send them back to me and I would put them together, making an art quilt out of them. I have received many of them back and have pinned them to my design board to see how I could put them together.



Here I grouped the cards by colour with the
orientation both landscape and portrait (sideways
and up and down)


Here, I lined them up in colour rows
with all the landscape oriented ones
together.


The final art quilt will be in the format above. I've taken the portrait oriented cards out and will make another quilt from them when I have enough. I decided that I would attach the cards in rows of six.


This is the top row all put together



I pondered long on how to put them together as I wanted to have all the edges showing as opposed to sewing them together and having the edges in the seams. I got around that problem by using pop can tabs on the backs of the cards.

You can see how the tabs were sewn onto the backs of the cards
to keep them together. I also added the names of the recipients,
the occasion it was made for and the Month and year it was given.


I was able to get two rows put together and then I ran out of pop can tabs. I don't drink pop, but if some of my local followers do, could you save them for me?  Each card will have four tabs, two to attach the cards in a row and two to attach each row together. It is pretty time consuming as they are sewn on by hand. It's a job I do while I watch TV.

I love how they all look together. Each one is unique but assembling them by colour gives them something in common and from a distance the colour changes in the quilt really look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment