Search This Blog

Thursday 14 September 2017

All Creation Sings - Art Quilt Completed

I am pleased to post that my Art Quilt has finally been completed after many months of work and it has been delivered to its new owners.

When it was finally finished I tacked it up on my design board to look at it for a few days so it could tell me what it still needed. I had added quilting in such a way that it enhanced certain areas. For example, the quilting in the water was done do make it look like there is movement there. I also used some metallic threads to add a little sparkle and also added some crystal beads. I quilted the grasses so that they would have some depth and I added some twine to give it interest and a different texture. On the rocks I couched some yarn to give the look of cracks and mossy areas. I thought I had thought of everything, however, there was still something missing. It needed some living creatures so I added some birds. This seems like a little thing but it made a huge difference to the feeling of the piece.

Below is my method from beginning to end.

Original inspiration photo
Watercolour painting of photo
Tracing of watercolour painting to be enlarged and used
to plan the pattern.
Choosing fabric
Plotting pattern
Pieceing
Finshed quilt top before quilting and embellishments
All Creation Sings

No comments:

Post a Comment