Search This Blog

Thursday 26 April 2012

Enhancing my Quilting Skills

Although I'm more of a contemporary art quilter, I do see the value in practicing pieceing traditional quilt blocks. I am a member of Craftsy which is a website that teaches all manner of crafts. I am currently doing the Craftsy Block of the Month in order to learn the proper ways to piece quilts and will then incorporate what I learn into my own style of quilting. Each month the site posts 2 new quilt blocks for us to practice. Being that it is almost the end of April and the May blocks will be coming out next week, I thought I should spend today putting together the April blocks. However, the April blocks have a fair amount of hand pieceing to do and they didn't get done today.
Below are some of the blocks I've completed. You can see that they are done in Christmas fabric. Since we started in January and will finish in December, I thought I'd make it a Christmas table runner.



This is one of the unfinished April blocks. It is a paper pieced
block and therefore the hexagons must all be handsewn
together.

This is the second April block and once I sew all the little
hexagons together they will become a Christmas tree
in the centre of the block.


No comments:

Post a Comment