Search This Blog

Thursday 6 June 2013

Painting Donations

Every once in a while I paint something that is donated to a good cause. This week we had a Golf Tournament in support of our local Christian School. The tournament always also has a silent auction during the dinner. So for the last couple of weeks, along with the other stuff I was working on, I was also painting something to place in the silent auction.
I decided it should be a piece that would evoke happy memories of summertime in Northern Ontario. So I painted a scene from photographs I took last year when I was in the Georgian Bay area of the Thirty Thousand Islands. It is an acrylic painting on canvas.


Laying down shapes and basic colours
Putting some detail into the water and rocks
Putting some colour into the trees
I added seagulls to give it some life but removed the bird
that was flying in front of the rocks because it wasn't reading
correctly and was a bit of a distraction
When the painting was almost done I sent a copy of it to my daughter to ask for some feedback. Often when I've been working on something for some length of time, I can't be discerning and I need another pair of eyes to look at it. Luckily she was honest enough to tell me the bird in front of the rock didn't look right. So I removed it. She was right, it looks much better with out it.
 
 
 As promised here are a few photos of the progress on my commissioned painting. So far I have just been laying in colour to establish a sense of place and determine where I want my lights and darks.
 

 
Due to the busyness of the time of year for me, I haven't been able to keep up my daily sketches but I did do two more this week. I think I'll give the daily sketches a rest for the month of June.
 
Draw a pitcher or jug
Draw something from a pet's perspective

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment