Search This Blog

Thursday 9 April 2015

Relay for Hope Art Quilt Panel Completed

I have been working furiously on this quilt to get it done before the deadline. Once I had the pattern all worked out on freezer paper, I started sewing the quilt top base onto which I will applique the main subjects of the dog sled, northern lights and the raven.



The smallest pattern piece of the whole quilt


This shows the section of the quilt I was working on



From the previous photo, you can see that the

darker spots will be the shadows of the dog sled.


The whole art quilt top with only the base.

Here I will add on the applique. You can see

that I used some of that hand dyed green fabric

in the sky to depict the brighter parts of the

Northern Lights.


This gives you an idea of how I put the dog sled

together.



The first dog placed.



The whole dog sled. There were a few areas that

I felt needed a little more colour so I made a few

additions later.

Detail of Northern Lights

I had a hard time making the raven stand out 

against the dark sky. I auditioned different colours

of fabric. (gray, black and white, even a piece of

black plastic bag) Finally, I made that area of  the

Northern Lights lighter and liked the effect of the

black plastic. I went to Value Village and found a

satin negligee that I used for the raven. The shiny

fabric helps the bird to stand out better.

Then I free-motion quilted the whole thing as you

can see from the back.

I had asked my daughter to purchase something 

small in the Yukon that I could use to embellish the quilt with.

So when she came to visit, she brought me this

Yukon Quest Medallion and a pin from the 2012

Yukon Quest which I fastened to the quilt as the 

final touch.



Now I had to package it for shipping. I rolled the quilt 

around an empty wrapping paper roll with the

design toward the inside. Then I wrapped the whole

thing with tissue paper and then plastic, in case

the box carrying it got wet.





Finished Yukon Art Quilt

The Yukon initials (YT) will be placed in the bottom right

corner and then this panel will be sewn into a large quilt.

I really hope they send us a photo of the whole quilt put together so we can see what it looks like.

1 comment: