Search This Blog

Thursday 24 September 2015

Landscape Quilt - The Error that Cost me

With the deadline of September in the back of my head, I was working hurriedly on this landscape quilt to get it done in time. I was so pleased before I went to Holland that I had finished the whole upper portion. As I took the photo of it for this blog, I noticed something that didn't quite fit.



Can you spot it? On the very left section I had just finished, I noticed a tree shape that was not tree coloured. It turns out I was not careful when assigning symbols to the different fabrics and I assigned the same symbol just turned 90 degrees to two pieces of fabric. One fabric was the pink of the rocks and they other was greenish. When putting that section together, I picked up the wrong fabric, not reading the symbol correctly, thus, I now have a pink tree.



I didn't think I could get away with leaving it that way so today, I had to fix it. That meant taking apart most of that section. Because I had thrown away the pattern pieces, I had to use the pink pieces as the pattern to cut out the green pieces. "Piece of cake!", I thought. Not. Even though I took photos of the pieces as they were together, I still had issues trying to put it back together again once the new pieces were cut. I actually had to cut an extra piece of fabric to get it all to fit properly. I don't know what I did wrong. But an hour and a half later, I had the section finished for the second time.
Mistakes like this happen a lot when I am creating. Sometimes I can leave it but other times I have to try not to get frustrated, and just fix it.





Pink Tree
Green Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment