Search This Blog

Thursday 11 April 2013

Blogging from Europe

This blog comes to you from The Netherlands; the town of Epe in the province of Gelderland, to be exact. I'm on my yearly visit to my dad and the weather is typically Dutch - wet and gray. However, the weather man says we are in for temperatures of 19 on Sunday.
When I'm in Holland I usually rent a small farm house to stay in but it happened to be booked so I had to find something else. Sometimes when we are forced to get out of our routine and do something different we experience special blessings.
I found a unique lodging very close to where my dad and step-mother live (about 5 or 10 minutes walk). The lodging is a renovated grain mill complete with silo. Our room is located inside the silo. It has everything you would need in it; bed, table, sitting area, kitchen, bathroom. It is quite cozy.
We are treated to a fantastic breakfast each morning of warm buns, hard boiled egg, cheese, meat, yogurt, musli, fruit, tea, coffee and loads of little extras. They also gave us a small bottle of red wine to enjoy in our room. This place is called "de malerij" or the mill and is not only lodging but also houses space for an art gallery and studio or "atelier" where workshops are held or you can use it for individual use with permission. I didn't bring a lot of art material with me this time but perhaps on future visits, I'll plan for some serious art making here. This place is a special blessing during an, at times, difficult visit. My dad's Alzheimer's Disease is not progressing quickly, which is another blessing, and he seems genuinely pleased that my sister and I are here.

Well, it seems, I am having trouble uploading my photos so I'll have to do that when I am back at my computer. I have found some time for one sketch so far and hopefully will complete a few more before I return home again








No comments:

Post a Comment