Search This Blog

Thursday 10 October 2013

Summer Landscape Quilt - Quilt top completed

I've been working feverishly on the Summer Landscape Quilt and have finished piecing the top. Now  to shop for borders, quilt batting and a backing fabric. When I was fabric shopping I found this wonderful material that looked like water. I wished I had bought it before I started the quilt because it was perfect for the water parts. I decided to use it as a thin border around the quilt and then using "Heat n Bond" I ironed a few pieces to the quilt top to enhance the water. I also purchased a green fabric for the outside border and the back of the quilt.

A lot of quilters dye their own fabric to use in their projects and while that interests me, I find it very time consuming and messy. I took a course once with the Ontario College of Art on dying fabric with natural ingredients and I really enjoyed it. In that course I also dyed some silks and I have used these in the sky section of the quilt. As much as I enjoy dying fabric, I find that there are a lot of fantastic commercial fabrics on the market today and I prefer at this moment to use those. That may change if someone comes up with a really easy dying method.

 
My next stage in completing the quilt will be to sandwich the quilt with batting and the backing fabric and machine quilt it adding details to enhance the subject. This will take some thinking and planning because once I start to sew, it is really hard to remove something that doesn't work.



No comments:

Post a Comment