Search This Blog

Thursday 22 May 2014

Algonquin Rapids Quilt Completed

I have finally finished my latest Art Quilt. I started it in the middle of February and blogged about it on Feb28/14 once I had started it. I worked constantly putting the quilt top together and then I hung it on my design board for a few weeks to let it tell me what it needed as far as embellishing. Once the top was done, I had to find ways to separate the foreground trees from the rest of the design and then a separation of background woods from the rocks and a separation of the water from the rocks.
The watercolour at the right of this blog is the sketch I had done from one of my canoe trips to Algonquin and it was my inspiration for this quilt.
To make the trees stand out I couched some yarn along the trunks and also used it to make marks on the bark. I darkened some of the rocks in the background to bring the water forward a little. To make the water look like it was foaming and moving I added some white tulle and some pieces of a sparkly white scarf that I found at Value Village on top of the completed top. Then I added white thread painting to give the illusion of the directional flow of the water. I also machine quilted certain areas of the quilt to give the background woods some depth.
I decided not to put a quilt border around this one, thinking that it looked more contemporary without one.

If you are interested in watching the progressions of this project being put together, I've made a YouTube slide show. Here is the link:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RasRXK8lqoo

Detail of foreground trees and water


Detail of water


Algonquin Rapids

No comments:

Post a Comment