Search This Blog

Thursday 5 June 2014

A Day in The Studio

I don't have the luxury of spending every day, all day in my studio. Life gets in the way, however, I have given myself the gift of one whole day per week in the studio and so I thought I'd show you what a typical studio day looks like for me.

My day starts with my fun favourite cereal, Froot Loops. This is just a studio day cereal to put some fun into my head preparing me for creativity. Look how fun that box looks!


Next, I head downstairs to the studio and notice that it is a bit of a mess and some of the surfaces have to be tidied up so I can work. So I set to that job and hope it doesn't cut too much into my creativity time.





BEFORE







                                         AFTER






I had some paintings lying around that my grandchildren did and so I started to cut them up to use in the journals I am making for them as background pages. You can only hang so much art up on the walls and this way there will be some of their earliest art inside their journals.


Once I had some 5 X 7 pieces cut, I really liked the colours and texture of the pieces so I thought I would try to scan them into my computer and print them on plain fabric to use for my fabric cards. Well, that wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The fabric kept jamming in the printer and the colours of the scans weren't at all like the colours on the originals. So I took photos of the originals instead and used them to print other fabric. I experimented with a number of carrier sheets attached to the fabric to prevent it from jamming and finally succeeded in a couple of printed fabric pieces.

On the right are the original painted pieces and
on the left is the fabric printed from the scans.
I do like the fabric pieces even if they aren't the
right colours.
This time on the right are the fabric pieces printed
from the photos. They are much closer in colour
to the originals.
Well, after all that, it was coffee time. I usually don't stop for coffee but take a cup down with me and drink it on the go.


I also have some art sitting around my studio that I made but didn't know what to do with and so I decided to make them ready to abandon somewhere along my errand runs tomorrow.


As I was working on my fabric cards (with my new fabric) I used up all my quilt batting pieces so I set out to cut some more. I do a whole lot at once to save time when I'm creating.


Well, then it was lunch time and so I headed upstairs to have a sandwich and check my emails. After lunch I went outside into my neighbour's yard where I had spied some beautiful irises growing. I took my little chair, sketchbook, watercolour paints and sketched. 


Once that was done, it was time to blog. And here I sit, trying to make it as interesting for you as I possibly can. Hope you enjoyed spending time in my studio with me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment