Search This Blog

Thursday 14 August 2014

Sun-inspired Fabric Printing

For a long time I have wanted to try "Cyanotype printing". This is a method of printing or dying fabric with sunlight. The effect is quite unique and I think it would be a really interesting background for some of my fabric cards.
I found some of the dye chemical in an art store not long ago and it looked like an easy, mess-free way to try this method. The brand of dye I bought is called Inkodye and is a water-based formula, designed for household use. What I liked about it was that it doesn't use PVC, toxic solvents, iron or silver in its formula.
Basically, Inkodye is a range of mixable, water-based photosensitive dyes that develops when exposed to the sun.
So, naturally, I needed a sunny day to do this. This method works best on natural fabric such as cotton so I prepared some white cotton I had by washing it in a soda ash bath which helps to accept the dye and bind it to the fibers of the fabric.
Then I gathered some items that I could place on the fabric which is saturated with dye solution. These items include feathers, plant material, buttons, ribbon - anything that can be laid across the fabric to create a shadow. Where the items cover the fabric, the sun cannot expose the dye so those areas remain the colour of the original fabric.


Much to my dismay, the sun has disappeared and I am not able to try my sun printing today. Hopefully, tomorrow will be sunnier and I can try it then. Stay tuned for the results of my experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment