Search This Blog

Thursday 9 October 2014

Art in Interesting Places

Recently my daughter sent me an advertisement for an Art Contest. I have never seen anything like it before. It made me giggle and think, why not? Art can be found in the most interesting places.




My daughter is pregnant and she said if she was living nearby, she would totally do this with me on my art day Thursdays.  I'm pretty sure this is done with face paints and that they are not tattoos.....that would just be wrong for a whole host of reasons.

Another interesting place to find art would be at the SAQA website. The Studio Art Quilts Associates (of which I am a member) is currently having an auction of 12 X 12 inch art quilts to raise funds for the organization. These small quilts have been made by members of the association and donated. Sorry, I am new to this association so I'm still learning about how it works and everything it offers so I didn't make one this year but perhaps I will put it on the agenda for next year.


https://www.saqa.com/memberArt.php?cat=34

As well, today, I was able to get into my studio again and am trying to finish up a painting I started some time ago and have blogged about here. I'm just about done but as I looked at it today, I wondered if perhaps it was a bit unbalanced. Do I have too much going on at one side of the piece and not enough on the other side?
To experiment, I cut a piece of paper and painted it to look like a rock and then taped it to the lower left corner of the painting. As you can see from the photos, the right of the painting is filled with trees and rocks while the lower left is just open water. I thought that I could give it more balance if I put a rock in that corner. (I have already painted the water a darker colour in that corner to try to balance but am not sure it is enough). I also have to remember that I will be putting a dark frame on it and perhaps that will help.
I've looked and looked at it and cannot come to a decision. The extra rock may balance it but I do like the look and feel of open water which creates the idea that you can just get into a canoe and paddle out into the lake. Somehow I feel the rock closes things in and I lose the free, adventurous feel.
I don't normally like to post full photos of a painting that I am doing for someone else, however, I need your help and opinion on this. Compare the photos below and let me know which one you prefer.




No comments:

Post a Comment