Search This Blog

Thursday 11 January 2018

Acrylic Painting Course

I had the first class of my Acrylic Painting Course held just up the street from me at the Franklin Carmichael Art Group. Our class was held in the heritage house on the property which was donated to the City of Toronto by the doctor who lived there many years ago.

I wasn't as prepared as I should have been and didn't have any canvases with me but I took some melomine panels which I had gessoed white. I did take my paint and lots of subject matter. It appeared that I was the only one who was new to the class as everyone else knew each other. That has a way of making one feel a little awkward but everyone was very welcoming. All the other students already has something on the go so I had to decide what I would paint.

When the teacher saw my panel she handed me a bottle of black gesso and told me to cover the panel in it. I have never painted on a black background and was worried the paint would not cover it. The teacher said it would be a fun experience. Well, you can't argue with the teacher so I obeyed.

I decided to start on something fairly uncomplicated and had a photo of fall leaves that I figured I could do fairly quickly. It turns out I didn't have the right colours of paint with me so I was given a list of supplies to get. I used what I had and borrowed a little white paint and I found that my colours were pretty good. I was told never to use black paint as it would make the teacher angry. Instead I was to mix my own blacks with other colours which is already a practice I have whether in watercolour or acrylic. Whew!

I was able to block in the colours of my painting while I was in class (class is only 2 1/2 hours long). My plan was to do some more work on the painting today and I hope to get to it after posting this blog. I have also decided to put my art quilt on hold while I take this class so I can give as much attention to the painting as I can. The course is 8 weeks.



My drawing on black gessoed panel


Leaf colours blocked in


No comments:

Post a Comment