Search This Blog

Thursday 18 January 2018

What Do We Do With All Those Plastic Bags?!

My sister was over working in my studio with me and made the comment that I had a LOT of plastic bags. It's something I don't think of too much because when I get a plastic bag, I usually don't throw them away but use them in my garbage containers around the house and in my studio. However, if the bag is made of that heavy duty plastic and has designs or is and interesting colour, I take it to my studio and stash it under my drafting table. The bags are not in the way there and I hardly notice them.

But her comment made me realize, I either have to toss them out or decide to do something with them. So today, I spent some time sorting and folding them and as I was working at this, I decided I need to find a project for them.

A few years ago, I made a plastic "quilt" for an art abandonment challenge. It was made from many colourful plastic bags and then "abandoned" on a bridge close to our house. I hung it there for the neighbourhood to enjoy. It had a "Have a Great Day" message on it. Sadly, a few days later, as I drove by, I saw someone taking it down.


As I sorted my plastic bags today, I was pondering what I could make with them. I have seen that someone made a raincoat out of plastic bags once. It was really cool because there were slogans and pictures from the bags all over this coat.

My bags also have really cool graphics and slogans on them. Below are a few of them.

























In the end, my table was full of different colours of plastic and I thought I could make something like a fun table cover for when my grandkids come over to create or a cool plastic blanket to use at the beach to put your towel on to keep it from getting all sandy.

I would love to hear some other suggestions if you have them.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to post this link!

      https://cdn.dick-blick.com/lessonplans/recycled-plastic-collage/recycled-plastic-collage-recycled-plastic-collage.pdf

      Delete
    2. This is so cool Katrina! Gives me some ideas!

      Delete