Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 December 2018

Calm Morning Paddle Completed

Yes, I did a lot of procrastinating when it came to quilting my latest art quilt. Because I wanted to finish it before the end of the year, I had to tackle the quilting. My procrastination had everything to do with the new quilting machine I purchased in the Spring. I had figured out how to set it up and wind bobbins, thread the machine, work the regulated stitching but there were still things that were not working like I thought they should. I decided, I had to do some more practicing so out came the scrap quilt sections and I tried all kinds of things. I finally felt like I could place my precious quilt underneath the needle and give dimension to it.



As a recap of my process, I used two photos taken on one of my canoe trips and did a watercolour painting. This painting guides the composition, value and colour to help me choose the fabric.

A pattern is made from this painting as well which is enlarged to the exact size I would like the finished piece to be.




I began with the canoe and as below, I built

the rest of the image around that.



 Before I began this art quilt, I had decided to have it framed like a painting. I have done a few of my fabric pieces that way and I really like the look. I think it elevates the piece a bit to be more like fine art than a quilt. I haven't received it back from the framers yet so I don't have a photo I can share,


2 comments:

  1. This is truly special/inspiring/outstanding art. Thanks for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete