Search This Blog

Thursday 10 January 2019

Attempting a Small Art Quilt

One of my goals for 2019 was to make 3 small art quilts. The subject for my first one is a self-portrait. I've been taking a ton of selfies and clearly I don't know how to do that well because I really didn't get one that I liked. I finally chose one and did a watercolour painting from the photo.


Not sure it looks anything like me but it is a portrait and a subject I have been wanting to try in the technique I use for my quilts.

Because this is a small art quilt, only 9"X 9", my pieces are miniscule such that I don't even have room on the pattern to write numbers or colour codes in them. I had to find a different way plot the fabric colours and sewing order on the plan.

I decided to work out the pattern and then I photocopied it. On the photocopy I put the sewing order numbers and on the actual pattern, I used different coloured pencils to colour in the areas of different fabrics I chose.







Making a small quilt does make a difference in the time it takes to plot out a pattern but today I started the sewing and I have a feeling this could take some time. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment