Search This Blog

Thursday 17 January 2019

Sketching Field Trip

I have been on the lookout for a cozy place to sketch where the atmosphere is quaint, where there is interesting subject matter and perhaps a few people to sketch. Sketching outdoors in the Canadian winter just doesn't work. Today, the temperature was -11C with a wind chill of -16C. Not only would my fingers freeze but so would everything else plus the ink in my pen.

A friend of mine told me of a place that made and sold butter tarts that was not far from my home. I had forgotten about this place until I read about it in our local newspaper last week. I took down the address and decided to go out for a coffee and a butter tart.

This coffee shop is small and quaint and loaded with antiques and an eclectic mix of tables and chairs. I found a small table for two right beside the display case filled with every flavour of butter tart you could imagine. I ordered a coffee and a lemon butter tart, sat down and gazed around the place to find something to sketch. There was so much there! I decided that for my first time in this place I would just sketch my coffee and butter tart.






I did feel a bit self conscious but squashed the desire to finish my treats and leave without sketching. I took out the sketchbook and began. It wasn't going well at first but I admonished myself to keep at it. I was the only patron in the place and the owners were busy putting a huge order together to deliver that day so they left me alone.


It is not my best work, the mug is a bit wonky but today the success was not in the sketch, it was in the fact that I stepped out of my comfort zone, found the place, ordered something and sketched. When I was at the register to pay, I had a really nice conversation with the owner, Michelle, about art and fabric. I now have a bit of a relationship with her and when she sees me again (the next time I go there) she'll know I will most likely take out my sketchbook, order coffee and a butter tart and sit there for an hour documenting her shop. As you can see from the sketch, the shop is called Tartistry. I like the name!



This is a pecan butter tart that I bought for my husband. He loves pecan pie.

1 comment:

  1. Marcel Vander Wier30 January 2019 at 10:40

    Thoroughly enjoyed this story :)

    ReplyDelete