Search This Blog

Thursday 2 May 2019

Procrastination is my Enemy...or is it?

I don't think we always know why we are procrastinating about something but in my case the last few weeks, I do know why. My acrylic painting is moving painfully slowly because I am struggling with my paint. Acrylic paint dries very quickly so it is really hard to blend the colours. My subject has so many different colours and values in the sky (which is why I chose it. I like the drama in the sky.) I feel like I have to paint one area very quickly to get it to look like I want it to. Perhaps I'm not very patient with this medium. I am more patient with my fabric medium, it seems.

Well, often procrastination is the enemy and it could mean that nothing gets done. That hasn't been my experience. When I procrastinate one project, I just work on another. So this week I was putting together a few art aprons for some of my younger grandchildren.



Today, I decided that I would put some more effort into the painting. I really am not sure if it is improving at this point but it is good to look at the progressions and determine what I need to do further. I only worked on the top two cloud formations today and blocked in the rocks and the water.












As I look at these now, I can see that I have to be bolder with my colour because the pinks, purples and oranges do not really show up in the photos and the sky seems a little flat still. Adding the rocks and water does bring a little more life and interest to it though. I'll keep on plugging away but I'm seriously considering changing my medium to oil paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment