Search This Blog

Friday 18 October 2019

Inspiration Through Teaching

Years ago I taught art on occasion at our Christian Elementary School as a supply teacher. I really enjoyed it and I think the students actually learnt something from me. As I come from a family full of teachers, I thought I would be a natural at this but not so. I stress way too much about planning and outcomes and so it is not something I do without a lot of thought and prayer.

I have, once again, volunteered to teach a sketching/zine making class for the school's After School Club. I will only have 8 students which for me, is more manageable. Not that there is any less stress but I will be able to give better one on one instruction with fewer students. The class runs for 6 weeks on Thursday afternoons.

For weeks, I have been planning, gathering supplies and examples and making notes. I just want to show them everything that is possible through sketching and the myriad ways of making a zine. The pile of stuff I have accumulated is massive and so I have to pare it down so I can actually carry it with me. I am wondering now if 6 weeks is enough time.

I really think it is important to share creativity with our youth. I have always done that with my kids and grand kids. It helps us to see the blessings all around us. It helps us to de-stress. It is well known to have many health benefits and mostly mental health benefits. Employers are looking for creative thinkers, out side of the box thinkers. Artists can deliver beauty and hope to the world. That's my goal, I guess.

Yesterday was my first session with these students. I made them each a sketchbook with various papers in them. We chatted about sketching and sketch books and why people keep them. I showed them many of my personal sketch books asking them what types of things they enjoy drawing. Most of them said, "Cartoons". I will be challenging them to try to draw other things.



We talked about what a Zine is and I showed them a few examples. The students worked on drawing a cover for their sketchbooks and then they were able to sketch whatever they wanted inside them. Below are some of their sketches. They gave me permission to share them in this blog.
















No comments:

Post a Comment