Search This Blog

Saturday 7 March 2020

Art Quilt Beginnings - Again

So after blogging about my block last week, I continued to look for something that spoke to me as far as an art quilt project.

In the fall last year my brother sent me a photos from his moose hunting trip which was waaaay up north somewhere. I used one of his photos to make him a fabric card for his birthday to commemorate this trip in which he bagged a moose! Apparently, he really liked the card and wondered if I could do this in a larger format. So my brain wheels started turning. Since it was taken in the fall there are many different colours in the photo which I could enhance in an art quilt. It also has a lot of different texture because it is rocky, boggy, brushy type of country. I could enhance the texture with yarn and other things. I was hooked. I got out the photo of the card and the original photo and started working.




I enlarged a line drawing of my design to about 24" X 36". The foreground is brushy, rocky, textured shrubs of various colours which fades into middle ground. the background is a line of  evergreen trees with some colourful deciduous trees behind them peaking through. I especially liked the tallest trees as they cut into the blue sky filled with white puffy clouds.


Covering the design with freezer paper on which I will plot my pattern of various fabrics and sewing sequence instructions.


Dividing the design for sewing.



Choosing fabric, keeping in mind colour and value. As I plot the pattern, I am sure I will add more fabric.


My swatch and symbol guide which helps me know which fabric goes where.

No comments:

Post a Comment