Search This Blog

Thursday 9 July 2015

A New Call for Entry

The Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) that I belong to issues several calls for entry each year. A call for entry is an announcement that they will be curating an art quilt show. There are several of these shows currently travelling around the world. I haven't yet entered any of my work into these shows, first of all because I'm not sure I can compete with what is being produced, and secondly because I can't produce anything very quickly, and thirdly because some of the themes of these shows do not interest me.

This new call for entry is due anytime in September and the theme is "Concrete and Grassland". In the write up it is described like this; "Concrete and Grasslands will explore the juxtaposition of the natural landscape and the human constructed cityscape. It asks artists to submit works that explore either the soft lines of nature or the hard lines of urban structures -- or a combination of both." As I love the Northern Ontario landscape, I am planning to use one of my canoe trip photos to design this art quilt. I will have to get started in order to have it done by September.

The photo I'm using is one of large rocks covered with pines which is reflected in the water below. I have already done a drawing of this photo, so I used the drawing to trace a design from it.



I

I will have to decide how large I want to make it. It may have to travel to several venues if it is accepted, the first one being the Grant's Pass Museum of Art in Grant's Pass, Oregon. And if it does travel, I won't get it back until December 2018. I've never done anything like this before and it makes me a bit nervous...but it's also exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment