Search This Blog

Thursday 23 July 2015

Starting the Rock Reflection Art Quilt

We are almost through July which means September will soon be here. It is time for me to start planning out my next Landscape Quilt which I told you last week is a large rock with pine trees growing on it and in the lake water in front it casts its reflection. It is a very plain and common scene in Ontario's North so I plan to make it interesting with the colours of fabric I choose. Those of us who have had the pleasure of spending vacation time up north, know that the rocks can be full of different colours if you pay attention. I see pinks and peaches, purples and greens, blues and grays. Rocks are not totally gray and black. The rock will be set off by all the variations of green found in the trees and shrubs that surround it. Since reflections are darker than the real object, the water will have all those variations but in a slightly darker tone. I will further create interest in the way I position the main seams of the quilt so as to lead the viewer's eyes to the focal point.

This is the first part of the design; the marking out of the major seams.

Here, I've started planning the more intricate parts of the pattern and assigning colours.

I also thought you'd like to see the cards I made with the dyed teabags I blogged about a few weeks ago. You can see how wonderfully transparent they are. The bottom card was made on a vintage linen napkin that I found at an antique show. It has a really nice detail of embroidered flowers that adds to the card. The words on the cards are free motion stitched with my sewing machine. I also embellished them with a few beads.



No comments:

Post a Comment