Search This Blog

Friday 28 April 2017

Sew Blessed



This week I packed my suitcase, gathered my quilting gear, sleeping bag and pillow and headed up to Markdale, Ontario for the Quilting Sisters Quilt Retreat at Campfire Bible Camp. I had never attended before and so it was an adventure for me.

The property is beautiful and at this time of year was coming out of the winter slumber. The trees were becoming green as was the grass. Small wild flowers were making their appearance as well. I headed for the main Lodge where I found women already sitting behind their sewing machines and hard at work. The large room was decorated for our Asian Theme and also adorned with wonderful quilts.











I was welcomed immediately and offered a table to set up my equipment. That would be my station for the rest of my stay. Among the humming of sewing machines there was a lot of communication going on as the women greeted each other with familiarity. I was among the few who were first-timers but I felt at home very quickly. I was very glad everyone wore name tags and quickly got to know most of the women in attendance. Of course, we all played "Dutch Bingo" and found many connections among us. What was wonderful was that these were all Christian women who were devoted to God and lived and loved for Him. This became quite obvious throughout the week from conversations and behaviour and a genuine care and compassion. However, lest you think these were stuffy ladies, I have to let you know that they were not at all but instead were fun-loving, joking, teasing, rambunctious and goofy. At times, there was so much laughter and giggling, the tears streamed from our eyes.






A huge amount of sewing, cutting, measuring, and lining up seams was done as well. Some finished quilting projects, started quilting projects or just made some headway but everyone was industrious. It was wonderful to see how different all the quilts were and how unique. What stood out to me was the fact that most of these women were making quilts to give away either to organizations or to family and friends. But all were thoroughly addicted!

Outdoor gathering space



Washroom, showers and pool



Our cozy cabins


On Wednesday evening, our chefs had a wonderful Asian Dinner planned and we were all to come dressed in Asian finery. I have to say that the meals were all just as creative as our quilts. Chefs Jane and Brenda made colourful and tasty culinary delights for each mealtime.






This retreat was such a wonderful experience for me and I'm sure for everyone in attendance. It is something I'll definitely do again. Check in for next week's blog where I'll post photos of a few of the quilts that were there, both finished and unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment