Search This Blog

Thursday 12 April 2018

The Struggle of Switching Mediums

In my last post, I told of switching between several mediums as I work on projects. Using different mediums help to keep things fresh and I also think it keeps us learning and tweaking our techniques with those mediums.

I have realized why I tend to stick with one medium for extended art making. It's because we easily forget the techniques needed for specific mediums. Since I have started the watercolour painting that I want to use to design an art quilt, I've been struggling and am not satisfied with how it is going.
It is still in the early stages but I just feel like scrapping it.

As I was working on it today, I noticed that the canoe in the foreground looked like someone was standing on the gunwales at the back so that the nose was sticking up in the air. I decided that it was because the canoe was too narrow so I took a scrubber brush and scrubbed the paint away and using watercolour pencils tried to make it wider.



I do think it looks better so I left the paper to dry in the area of the canoe and tried to punch up the colours in other areas a bit. With watercolour you do this with layers so you can see some improvement but more needs to be done. I have left some areas with very little colour and those are areas where the mist will come in. I will accomplish this by also scrubbing the paint off in the misty areas. I also have to keep in mind that the painting is only a guide for the design of my quilt and the quilt will look very different and more vibrant when it is completed. Even so, I want to know what colours and textures I will need and also what problems I will have to solve such as how will I depict mist with fabric.

Challenge is good. It makes us better.

No comments:

Post a Comment