Search This Blog

Thursday 1 August 2019

Sketches From the Past

After my dad died, I kept a lot of his sketch books, drawings and paintings. I am in the process of putting together a digital book of his art that is still in our possession. Because we can't display it all, I thought it would be nice to have a book that I, and other interested people, could leaf through. It will be a book that realistically represents his best work but also some not so great art. It is important for budding artists to know that even very good artists do bad work or stuff that doesn't work out the way we would like. Artists often take several runs at a project in order to solve the problems and learn. We will never make any really good stuff unless we keep trying.

I thought I'd share some of his sketches with you today. Dad loved to go for drives to find something to sketch (barns were some of his favourite subjects) but he also used his lunch hours to sit and sketch buildings in downtown Toronto. Sketching on vacation was another thing he did when he wasn't sailing his boats.










No comments:

Post a Comment