Search This Blog

Friday 9 August 2019

What to do With all That Scrap Fabric?

As you can see this blog has arrived on Friday. I've decided to start blogging on Friday instead of Thursdays due to the fact that Thursday is my art day and the blogging takes time from art.

I have LOTS of tiny pieces of fabric that are left overs from my art quilts. I just can't bring myself to throw some of them out. I keep them in clear containers by colour. I decided that I would try to use them up making fabric cards. I haven't been making as many fabric cards lately due to other larger projects I wanted to tackle but now I am once again inspired to start producing them again. I created 3 different cards so here is the first one.

I use a thick felt as my middle layer for the quilted cards. It is much sturdier than quilt batting and easier to work with. I start with this layer and built the image on that.




I had a lot of green fabric scraps and I also had a piece with birch trees on it that I thought I could use to good effect.



After ironing some Heat N Bond, a fabric adhesive, to the backs of the scraps, I cut them into small pieces and began arranging them on my felt.



When the whole felt piece was covered I ironed them down to give the effect of a forest. I then cut some birch trees from the fabric scrap and ironed them on top of the green background.


The final step was to embellish with quilting to bring the whole thing together.


No comments:

Post a Comment