Search This Blog

Saturday 21 December 2019

SAQA Exhibition Entry

I picked up my new art quilt from the framers today. After I dropped it off last week, I wondered if it was too small. I was a little miffed at myself for not making it bigger. But when I got it home an hung it on the wall, I really, really liked it. I think the size of it will make viewers move in closer to see how it was created and then to get the whole effect they will move further back to enjoy the whole piece. That's not to say that I won't some day do a large wall quilt of this subject but I'm satisfied with how this little one turned out.

When entering an exhibition, there are a lot of rules and regulations from limits on size to how photographs are taken and even size of photos. With new technology Jurors make the selections for acceptance by viewing photos of the works. So lighting has to be perfect. Colour has to be accurate. Positioning has to be straight and pixel size has to be right. Then, your piece needs to makes sense with the theme of the exhibition. That was my difficulty and initially I had decided not to enter. With encouragement from other SAQA members and some thought, I figured this little piece would fit the bill.

The theme for the exhibit is Colour with a U. Since SAQA is an international organization and in 2020 our International Conference is in Toronto, we wanted to highlight our uniqueness. We spell colour with a U as well as some other words. Below is the explanation of our theme.

"In Canada, we spell colour with a "u". We also spell labour, favourite, honour, and neighbour with a "u". That "u" could stand for unique, unforgettable, universal, unity, understanding, utopia. It could include the unusual, unexpected, unbound, unabashed, unaccounted, uncanny. We care about the "u"; it makes us unique. We care about the "you"; it brings us together. What do Canadian values of diversity and inclusion mean to you? How does your labour in your favourite medium honour your neighbourhood, your community? How doe you colour yourself into our Canadian culture?"








Backcountry

As an introvert, it is tempting to isolate myself from others. Through my experience on backcountry canoe trips, I have learned that we need others and others need us. This piece reminds me that we cannot survive well as lone trees. We need the unique and diverse qualities and personalities of family members and friends to help us navigate life, give us hope and add meaning to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment