Search This Blog

Friday 13 December 2019

Sidetracked From Original Art Quilt Plan

A few  weeks ago, I posted about a new art quilt I was planning and as I was beginning, I got sidetracked because I saw a watercolour card that I had made and really loved the whole composition. So instead of finishing my original idea, I put it aside and started the new plan. This was also from a photo I took on a kayak trip from last year.


I loved this solitary dead tree in this colourful landscape so I drew up my pattern, chose fabric and started sewing. This piece is smaller than the others I have done in this technique and I'm amazed that it worked out. It's about 8.75" X 15". I have decided to enter it in a SAQA exhibition at it's International Conference which is in Toronto in March 2020. The exhibition is called "Colour With a U" and will exhibit at the Homer Watson House in Kitchener as well as in RiverBrink Art Museum in Niagara-on-the-lake. After those exhibitions are done, the works will travel all over Canada to various venues.




I have been working feverishly on it every day that I can to get it finished in time for the deadline which is January 3rd, 2020. I finished it this morning and took it immediately to the framer. Because it is a smaller piece, I wanted to have it framed so it resembles a painting. I have done this with some of my other pieces and I really like the look.




For this piece, I decided to sew the background together first, quilt it and then applique the tree on top. Once the tree was placed and machine appliqued, I added smaller branches with free motion stitching on my sewing machine.

I will post the completed piece after I have sent my application in to SAQA. Now to continue my original plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment