Search This Blog

Friday 10 January 2020

Challenged and Inspired by Artist in Residence Programs

As I was planning my goals for 2020, I remembered coming across Artist Residencies in various places. I have never felt that I could be an artist in residence mostly because I am not a professional artist. By that I mean that I do not create art to sell it and make a living.

An artist in residence commits to researching and creating art in a particular location. Some galleries like the McMichael Canadian Collection in Kleinburg have an Artist Residency. Many Provincial Parks also accept applications for Artist in Residence Programs. They offer these programs to give the artist some notoriety and publicity but also to attract visitors to their location.

Each Artist in Residence Program has its own set of rules and regulations for acceptance so it is sometimes difficult to find a good fit. When I found out about them I was really interested in them especially the ones in the outdoors like Provincial Parks. They give the accepted applicant the freedom to explore and research, sketch and photograph their area while camping or staying in a facility there. The artist must supply their own equipment, food and art supplies and must work to completing a body of artwork to display or exhibit at the location of the residency. There is usually a time frame after the residency in which the art needs to be completed. As well, there is a commitment to engage the public in an art related activity, talk or demonstration at some point during the program. Timelines and times of year also differ from program to program.

One of my goals for 2019 was to do something outside of my comfort zone. I had planned to apply to an Artist in Residence Program at Algonquin Provincial Park. That did not happen due to the fact that I took a trip overseas at the time of the residency so I did not apply. However, I am planning to apply for the residency this year. The 2019 Artist in Residence Program was held in September.

I don't know if I will be chosen, but if I don't apply, I know that I won't be chosen. In order to apply, I will have to come up with a plan of action to send in about what I will spend my time doing and also a plan for engaging the public. I will also have to be prepared to work hard afterward to build a body of artwork from my research and sketches. It's really exciting even though a bit daunting to me.

There is also another Artist in Residence Program I'm planning to apply for which will happen in 2021. I'll blog about that another time.

The Algonquin Art Centre, in partnership with Algonquin Provincial Park, is excited to launch its Artist in Residency program, which allows artists working in various areas (visual, literary, media arts) to spend time in the heart of Algonquin’s beautiful wilderness working on their projects, collaborating with Park researchers, and participating in art-outreach opportunities at the Visitor’s Centre and/or the Art Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment