Search This Blog

Saturday 18 January 2020

New Art Quilt

I just finished an art quilt that took me only a week to complete! That is a record for me although I think I worked on it a bit every day. AND it is only 8" x 10" in size. Honestly the smaller the art quilt the more challenging due to the smaller pieces.





This design was from a sketch of a Clematis I had done. You can see how many little pieces there are! I wasn't sure I would be successful with this one but I was pleasantly surprised. I won't enter it into any shows but just putting it together taught me many things so the next one will be better.


To choose a colour pallet I went to my colour wheel and chose the complementary colours of purple and yellow green. I wanted the background to be plain but not boring so I chose off-white and beiges, some with a little pattern in them. When I designed the pattern I used the seam lines to draw the eye to the bloom.




Construction phase. Little by little the image is being revealed.



I used thread painting for the stems, quilted the outline of the leaves and the bloom and stitched yellow into the heart of the flower. I'm not sure if the background competes a bit with the flower but I think the purple keeps that from happening.

After I had completed Clematis, I realized I could have used it for either the SAQA benefit auction or the Spotlight auction, both are fundraisers for SAQA, but it was the wrong size for both. Benefit auction pieces have to be 12"x12" and Spotlight auction pieces have to be 6" x 8". Bad planning on my part. Next time better.

4 comments:

  1. It's very pretty and the background does not compete with the flower. Is it paper pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dolores, and welcome to my blog. Yes, it is paper pieced. Take a look at my gallery while your on my blog to see some other work if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arja. This was very inspiring. I would be interested in learning how to di this with you one day. Especially on small projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can maybe do that, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete