Search This Blog

Thursday 3 March 2016

Plans for a New Art Quilt

Each year the Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA), of which I am a member, holds a Benefit Auction to raise funds for the organization. The funds are used to put out the Journal Magazine, a publication of SAQA, as well as organizing and putting on shows and exhibitions. The Auction is held online so anyone from anywhere can bid on the quilts.

There is no theme so we can put together whatever we want but it has to be 12" X 12" in size. The early bird Deadline is April 1, 2016. Anyone sending in their work before that day will be eligible to be included in the Benefit Auction Promotional Brochures.  The final Deadline is June 1, 2016 and the auction begins on September 16, 2016. On September 16 ALL quilts will be available for $1000. each. The quilts will be divided into 3 bidding sections. It was a complicated system when I first was introduced to it so I won't explain how it works until closer to Auction time.

Quilts from all over the world will be available and I find them all beautiful! The quilts we make are completely donated and shipping them to SAQA is also our responsibility.

Here is a sketch of my quilt idea.


It is inspired by a photo I took of some leaves on my well worn back deck. The deck wood is gray with bits of the original paint still clinging to it in some areas. The leaves are fall colours. It is a fairly simple plan and I hope to make it pop with lots of stitch to bring out the detail in the deck boards. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment