Search This Blog

Thursday 10 May 2018

Planning My New Art Quilt

I have been working on the painting to be used to plan my new art quilt for a while and I feel that now I can move on to the next stage of the planning.



Next, I traced the painting and all the variations in colour and value and had the tracing enlarged.



Then I covered the the drawing with freezer paper onto which I will plan my pattern, mark the fabric I'll use and the order in which I will sew it together.


Above, I've marked out the larger sections of the quilt. Each section will be subdivided into smaller sections and then pieces. I noticed on the painting that the edge of the land where it meets the water was almost exactly in the middle of the painting. That's a real "no no" in art. It is probably why I didn't feel settled on the composition. So at the top of my pattern I sectioned off about 2 inches which I will not include. That brings the edge of land higher in the picture frame and gives the composition more interest. It will  also give the canoe more prominence.



I started to pull fabric from my "stash" and decided I would like to work with many fabrics in each of the colour families (more than I normally choose) and I would like to work with smaller pieces to give more variety in the different areas of the quilt. There is a mist rising from the water and in the background hills. I'm going to try to depict that by using a blue organza and a white organza over top once the base is completely pieced.






Above are the swatches of fabric I have already sorted out. I may still add to this. Stay tuned for regular updates on the progress.

2 comments:

  1. My heart skipped a beat when I saw this!! Beautiful!! πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ›ΆπŸ›Ά

    ReplyDelete